Government of Ontario
Ontario's vibrant multiculturalism and varied landscapes make this a great place to live and to visit. Find out more about Ontario’s people, places, and history.
Ontario is a study in contrasts. The varied landscape includes the vast, rocky and mineral-rich Canadian Shield, which separates the fertile farmland in the south and the grassy lowlands of the north.
Here are some key facts about Ontario:
- Ontario’s more than 250,000 lakes contain about one-fifth of the world's fresh water
- in summer, temperatures can soar above 30°C (86°F), while in winter they can drop below -40°C (-40°F)
- Ontario's industries range from cultivating crops, to mining minerals, to manufacturing automobiles, to designing software and leading-edge technology
- cultures from around the world thrive and are celebrated in Ontario with festivals such as Caribbean Carnival, Oktoberfest and the Canadian Aboriginal Festival
- travellers can enjoy the many experiences Ontario has to offer, from a wilderness expedition in the north, to a "shop till you drop into your theatre seat" city excursion